Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Voices

The pain ignites my brain, and pierces my heart. I curse the endless battle between mind and soul. The cries grow deeper and stronger, I am helpless to decline, instantly I rise damp from the night's heat. My scream of horror is lost in the dark empty room.
I pull aside the bed curtains. The unbearable pain again brutally reminds me of its presence. The cries grow louder with each careful step. I reach the desk and sit each drag on the floor echoes through the room, and my fearful head.
I feel for the small, sulfur stick. As it glides across the wood the spark quickly turns to a small flame which brightens the lonely room.
I touch it to the candle which has long ago passed its usefulness. I free the quill from its wet home.
The first droplet of black is absorbed into the smooth white sheet. It is then and then alone that the deadly and powerful screaming grows quiet.
-Johnny V.

No comments:

Post a Comment