Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Great Silence directed by Sergio Corbucci

This was a brilliant film. So different than any western I have ever seen. I am a big fan of Sergio Leone's films and had this film recommended to me because of that. This film was amazing. The performances although dubbed were profound and powerful to watch.The story line was wonderful. I am not one who likes talking about a film being a statement about war or power etc. I just like the film as a piece of art. This one is exactly that. I have studied film and believe that one way to tell a great film is to watch it with the sound off and if you can follow it still its done well. This is exactly that type of film. I watched it once and then right after it was done muted it and watched it a second time. The characters were so well written and directed that you could relate to each of them. Even to the brutal Loco. The camera work also pulled you into the story. The use of shaky hand held cameras added to the effect of certain scenes. Also the snow which was one of the things making it so unique. It became so powerful that it took on a life of its own and became a character in the film. A character that battled each of the others and effected them all in different ways. As mentioned in the liner notes and in other reviews it is a very violent film but a very different violence than most of us are used to. Especially here in the USA. This is in all ways one of the most amazing films I have ever seen. -Johnny V.

No comments:

Post a Comment